Saturday, August 15, 2009

California in a Nut Shell

It's just been HOPPING around here! We've just enjoyed our first major vacation since our honeymoon (other than visiting family). We did Disney Land, San Diego and San Francisco with a 7 year old, a 4 year old and an 11 month old. And to add to our adventure/loonacy, we DROVE from Stony Plain, Alberta Canada to, and through, California USA! WHAT WERE WE THINKING!?!?!?

OK, seriously, it wasn't all bad. Nathan took his big brother duties to a new level. He held Nolan's bottles and fed him his little puffs and sang and made funny faces and was just a huge asset in the back seat. Nicholas would have done more to help too if he hadn't been on the other side of the car.

California was a RIOT! We rode all the rides we wanted to, burned to a crisp on our one day on the beach, had an emergency room visit, had to drive in circles to bypass a Gay Rights Parade, narrowly avoided getting into a fist fight in the Sea World parking lot, drank an ocean of water to prevent dehydration and only truly terrorized the boys once in 2 weeks.

We played really good Canadian tourists and visited all the big name attractions. The only one we considered but didn't do was Alcatraz. It would have cost us an arm and a leg plus they were booked solid for almost a week. I spoke with another traveller who tried to get tickets on a Monday or Tuesday and didn't get on until the following Sunday. We only spent 2 days in San Francisco so we were SOL on that one. I wasn't too disappointed though...the price was a little high for my tastes.

All in all we had a great vacation. The munchkins charmed their way through California with their big blue eyes, cheesy grins, and mischievous natures. Even at their most annoying (to me anyways LOL) people around us told me they were fabulous and they should be cherished. It made me realize I gave birth to some pretty neat kids. Maybe I'll keep them for a while longer. Maybe...

'Til next time folks!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you all had a blast!! I live in Northern CA so we go to Disneyland at least once a year! Isn't it so much fun???

    I went to Alcatraz once and all I remember is being creeped out. They locked us up in a solitary confinement cell so we could get a sense of what it was like for the prisoners and I felt so panicked. I just wanted to get the hell off that island!!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete